Steps to Depotting Your Makeup Palette
- Prep your tools:
- For any non-magnetic makeup pans that are glued into a palette, you'll need a heat source, such as a hairdryer, flatiron or a small pot of boiling water.
- A flat tool (using at least a spoon or butter knife).
- A surface to work on (such as a cutting board or a silicone mat).
- Heat the palette: For glued-in makeup pans that you can't pop out, you will use your heat source to warm up the palette for a few minutes. This will make it easier to remove the eyeshadow pans. If using a hairdryer, hold it about 6 inches away from the palette and blow it on the highest setting for about 2 minutes. If using a pot of boiling water, place the palette over the steam for a few minutes. For a flatiron, turn on the flatiron and set it to a low heat setting. You don't want it to be too hot, as you don't want to damage the eyeshadow pans.
- Remove the pans: Once the palette is warm, use your flat tool to gently pry the eyeshadow pans out of the palette. You may need to apply a bit of pressure to get them to come out. Be careful not to apply too much force, as you don't want to damage the eyeshadow pans. In some cases, you can press on the metal edge of the pan with your flat tool and the makeup pan may just pop up. If you break any makeup in the process, you can repress it with a FIXY Makeup Repair Kit. If you want to depot your makeup into smaller pans or all the same size pans, you can also use the FIXY kit for that as well. SEE VIDEO BELOW! Or blend colors you aren't using to create a new shade.
- Clean the pans: For pans that were glued into the original palette, you may need to clean them to remove any excess adhesive after you have removed them from your palette. You can use a cotton swab or a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to gently clean the pans.
- Arrange the pans: Once the pans are clean, you can arrange them in your empty makeup palette. If you are using a FIXY magnetic makeup palette, all tinplate pans will adhere to the strong magnet. Any non-magnetic pans would require makeup pan stickers. You can organize your favorite makeup by color, finish, or by the brand.
- Enjoy your new makeup organization: Take your newly organized makeup on the go or for quick access with exactly what you need.
Depotting a makeup palette can take a bit of time and effort, but it is the best way to organize your makeup collection and make it easier to use. By following these steps, you can successfully depot your makeup palette and create a customized makeup storage system that works for you. Contact us with any questions you may have or tips you think we need to add.
Makeup palettes with magnetic pans
- Alter ego
- Natasha Denona
- Sydney Grace
- Tarte (newer)
- Lorac (newer larger)
Makeup palettes with pans that are glued in
- Urban Decay Naked Palette
- Morphe Jaclyn Hill Palette
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette
- Tarte Tartelette in Bloom Clay Palette
- Huda Beauty Desert Dusk Palette
Other Depotting Options
- Lipsticks: Melt portions of your lipsticks down into small makeup pans by cutting sections of the lipstick off. They can be quickly melted in the microwave or on a heating source.
- Liquid Foundations: Create smaller versions of your liquid foundations by removing small portions and putting them into small pump bottles or clear tubes.
Overall Depotting Tips
Tip 1: Clean beauty products expire faster so you may want to keep them organized together.
Tip 2: If you are going to take the time to depot your makeup, make sure they aren't supposed to expire in the next few months. One expired product could contaminate the others you depot!
Tip 3: Skincare may need to stay in it's original packaging because depotting into a clear container may impact the products effectiveness and shelf life.
Depotting with the FIXY Kit